We understand that speaking to children about acts of violence can be very difficult. If you are struggling with how to approach or speak to your child about these types of incidents, find resources below to help children cope with traumatic events.
If you are looking to take action to prevent further gun violence, visit momsdemandaction.org.
- Sesame Street in Communities: Community & Gun Violence
- ABC News: How to talk to kids after 19 children, 2 adults killed in Texas school shooting
- Common Sense Media: How to Talk to Kids About School Shootings
- Child Trends: Resources to help children in the wake of a school shooting
- Scholastic: How to Talk to Your Kids About School Shootings
- National PTA: Discussing Difficult Situations With Your Children
- American Psychological Association: Helping your children manage distress in the aftermath of a shooting
- Colorin Colorado: 15 Tips for Talking with Children About School Violence
- Common Sense Media: Explaining the News to Our Kids
- Child Mind Institute: Anxiety Over School Shootings
- Child Mind Institute: Helping Children Cope With Traumatic Events
- National Association of School Psychologists: Talking to Children About Violence: Tips for Parents and Teachers
- Seattle Children's: Disasters & Scary Events: Helping Children Cope