Tax Season is upon us, and we are here to support families file their taxes and receive the benefits they deserve. That’s why we’ve partnered once again with United Way Worldwide and their MyFreeTaxes.com platform.
MyFreeTaxes.com from United Way helps taxpayers easily and accurately file their taxes from their computer or smartphone. It is a free and easy way to file federal and state tax returns at no cost. The platform screens users for credit and deduction eligibility such as the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Child Tax Credit to ensure filers receive their maximum tax refund, and lets filers check for any missed stimulus payments.
MyFreeTaxes also offers help from a real person trained by the IRS via the MyFreeTaxes’ Helpline. Plus, you also have the option to schedule in-person help.
More about the Child Tax Credit and Earned Income Tax Credit
There was no increase for the Child Tax Credit (CTC) this year. For the 2022 tax year, you qualify for the full amount of the 2022 Child Tax Credit, $2,000 for each qualifying child, if you meet all eligibility factors and your annual income is not more than $200,000 ($400,000 if filing a joint return). However, only $1,500 of the credit is refundable.
To claim the Child Tax Credit, each qualifying child for the 2022 tax year must:
- Be under age 17 at the end of the year
- Be your son, daughter, stepchild, eligible foster child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, half-brother, half-sister, or a descendant of one of these (for example, a grandchild, niece or nephew)
- Provide no more than half of their own financial support during the year
- Have lived with you for more than half the year
- Be properly claimed as your dependent on your tax return
- Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or U.S. resident alien and hold a valid Social Security number
The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a tax break for low-income workers, and this year, it can be worth up to $560 for some workers without qualifying children at home. If you are eligible to receive the Earned Income Tax Credit, it will lower the amount of federal income taxes you are required to pay.
To qualify for the EITC, you must:
- Have worked and earned income under $59,187
- Have investment income below $10,300 in the tax year 2022
- Have a valid Social Security number by the due date of your 2022 return (including extensions)
- Be a U.S. citizen or a resident all year
To get these and other credits you may qualify for, families must file their taxes, which is why free tax preparation is a necessity.
New tax guides for small business owners and entrepreneurs
MyFreeTaxes Volunteer Opportunity
If you are interested in helping individuals file their taxes on a volunteer basis, United Way is looking for individuals to help with their MyFreeTaxes platform. Learn more about the opportunity here.